A couple of days back had gone to a Hindi book release function by "Akhil Bhartiya sahitya parishad" with mom....who else ? :) Mom's Hindi teacher was the author ,he is 85,and I knew mom should be there....it was Sunday and she wanted a driver...:)...I went with her....:) I also went because I subconsciously keep looking for people I can be in awe of,and can really admire...and this 'really' means something I tell you :) .....I have a hobby of collecting such antiques in my memory.They are true to their art form/field.They might not be saleable because they are precious and not known because they are too exceptional to be popular...just thought I might meet some there....being an actor usually don't get opportunities to be an admirer of people from 'lesser superficially glamorous' fields......
Just sat and heard what they were talking ..... the toughest Hindi I could ever imagine....and I bow down to all those wonderful intellectual people who read their articles and discussed things which I could have never expected to be known to people who survive in the most beautiful form of my own language Hindi without even thinking how many people would understand and how 'clap a ble' their speech would be,they were so intellectual , so well read...it was pure knowledge , pure intellect flowing...... In those two hours I was literally speechless with a realization of verbal and expressional poverty and had no time to blink.I have such a rich language I didn't know of :/ was my expression.....Just learnt once, Hindi is said to be more phonetic because of 47 alphabets14 vowels and 33 consonants.... but here I was not feeling ignorant I was angry as I felt it was a conspiracy for not letting me know what I have ...!!....
I can't deny that I felt ashamed that 'I' have started seeing Hindi as 'regional' in my own country ((earlier the sentence I wrote was involving all the countrymen but then I thought it is better I just stick to myself...it makes me feel more confident about what I'm saying))...I write in English only because I get more response than when I write in Hindi not because people don't want to read Hindi but may be because they are sure they will not understand because as global inter - nationals that doesn't seem like a priority.... when people write in Hindi they in their own country are worried as to how many of them would understand or the biggest concern....'would want to understand'..( have spoken to several writers so commenting :))...
We are surrounded by a generation who knows that if their child talks in Hindi not being good at spoken English he would face problems...the entire internet is more accessible in English....so they are right.....Parents who have studied in Hindi medium schools dream of a child who can do ggiittar ppiittar in English the way they couldn't.....It does sound funny when most Indians with whatever knowledge of this language and incorrect pronunciation keep stuffing their children.....'Common beta say 'MENTION NOT'.....COMMON ..beta say You AlSo ComE tO mY HOuse tOMROW ' 'bAD BEta MAmma wilL SColD YOu.......an observation wherever you go,it is a dream of every Indian parent....everybody is practicing 24*7 just sounds like you are talking to TOMMY or Tiger.. (no pun intended,I'm no different)......Indians face a difficulty because they don't 'think' in English,it is only a translatory mechanism .....the faster you can translate in your head the faster you can talk......not necessarily express......it is with every second language.......I don't know the solution because may be I don't have an arguable reason to see it as an oncoming problem.....just that when I listen to these guys who can talk so well in Hindi I really miss being able to talk like that,it feels good,so cooool :) ......
We are surrounded by a generation who knows that if their child talks in Hindi not being good at spoken English he would face problems...the entire internet is more accessible in English....so they are right.....Parents who have studied in Hindi medium schools dream of a child who can do ggiittar ppiittar in English the way they couldn't.....It does sound funny when most Indians with whatever knowledge of this language and incorrect pronunciation keep stuffing their children.....'Common beta say 'MENTION NOT'.....COMMON ..beta say You AlSo ComE tO mY HOuse tOMROW ' 'bAD BEta MAmma wilL SColD YOu.......an observation wherever you go,it is a dream of every Indian parent....everybody is practicing 24*7 just sounds like you are talking to TOMMY or Tiger.. (no pun intended,I'm no different)......Indians face a difficulty because they don't 'think' in English,it is only a translatory mechanism .....the faster you can translate in your head the faster you can talk......not necessarily express......it is with every second language.......I don't know the solution because may be I don't have an arguable reason to see it as an oncoming problem.....just that when I listen to these guys who can talk so well in Hindi I really miss being able to talk like that,it feels good,so cooool :) ......
While writing in Hindi rather than hunting for newer and more apt and suitable rich words we restrict ourselves to more known words which may or may not do justice with the expression....it is sad....I just feel it would have been so nice rather than using toughest of Hindi words as a means to laugh and joke we could have used them in our general conversation,although I have started doing that,just because I like talking good Hindi and ....it is so beautiful....The feeling of me knowing another language besides my own makes me feel like a progressor, a skill seeker ....and fiddling with another without knowing mine makes me feel inadequate......
I wish someday people after reading a Hindi article or a poem refer to a dictionary to understand and that will happen only when they feel the need to ......but in any case need has nothing to do with the satisfaction of being able to understand and express in a beautiful language,it is taste I guess....and if for taste I can go 10 kilometers to have 'Kachori' I can try to understand what someone has written....so whenever I read something that I don't understand in Hindi I thank the writer....I know he is having fun without inhibition ...not only for sale....its ok if I don't understand....it makes me happy to meet people at least who themselves know to perfection...what they are talking......:) All Hindi guys are 'cool dudes'....and it doesn't mean ठन्डे पुरुष :)



No comments:
Post a Comment